A love/hate relationship: Working with Plaster




To be completely honest, my design isn't crazy or anything. It's basic and simple, I just want this mold to work. This form does remind me of the very first object I 3D printed on 2019 during my first year OBDF class with Greg Ball.



My First 3D printed object!

When I printed my vessel, the filament ran out. Luckily, someone reprinted it on another printer while I was gone. Thank you whoever you are! 
First Vessel Prints. Half the size of the original.
 When I placed my outline in the MASTER MOLD file, I didn't notice that it was upside down, again me being lucky, Kayla noticed and she laser cut another one for me!

The vessel was to big so I cut off a bit of it using an x-acto knife
Now it fits!
         



 I was not confident in making the plaster. I'm glad Kayla was really great in helping me finish my mold! The plaster for the half negative went smoothly however as time was running out, we had to use the actual plaster room and continued there. When we created the plaster for the other half, we used the same measurements, but it was bad and thick and dried really fast. So we decided to finish it next week.


one half mold done!


TOO THICK pt1
TOO THICK pt2




disgusting



A WEEK LATER

Finally. The Perfect Plaster.

Kayla and I thought the reason why the plaster wasn't working was because of the room's temperature, but according to the ceramics people Kayla talked to, it was because of the water's temperature. Now that we know that, working with plaster is a little less annoying. I still don't understand the math though which is why I'm so thankful for Kayla for being there with me while we tried to make this work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eye spy with my little i, a castle that can't reach the skeye and a lady who barely remembers how to use Rhino

Digital Rendering

Mandalas or Scabs (WARNING: MIGHT BE GROSS. PREPARE PUKE BUCKET)